Saturday, June 29, 2013

I am not for Peppie

I think my quest for a dog is going to be put on hold for a while. I have been refused from a few shelters because I am out of the house too long during the day. The hardest disappointment came today. I completed my application and forwarded it on yesterday to START II in hopes of adopting Peppie. I received an email requesting me to call Marge to schedule an appointment to go to the shelter to meet Peppie. I was so happy to hear the news. I called Marge today and was told that my application was accepted and she asked when can I go to the shelter. I told her the earliest I can get there is tomorrow, Sunday. She preceded to ask me questions which I already answered on the application; no worries, I answered them again. Then she abruptly says to me, "How would you like to be left home for 9 hours!" Goodbye...


I was a bit dumbfounded. I didn't have any information about Peppie except what was posted on FB and PetFinder. I didn't know he was only 7 months old. I found that out after my daughter-in-law called Marge to find out why I was denied the offer to give Peppie a loving home. And a loving home he would have had with us. Anyone who knows our family knows Sierra was treated as a princess until the day we had to say goodbye to her.

Guess what shelter Sierra, Jackson, and Louie are all from. Yes, START II. The shelter that I have been sending donations too because I was so grateful to them for permitting us to adopt Sierra; our lives were enhanced by sharing our home with Sierra for 14 years. Since Laura passed, I have been asking people to send donations to START II in memory of my daughter's love for dogs. We celebrate Laura's birthday with friends and family yearly and I always add the shelter's name and address for anyone who wishes to donate.

I recruit friends to support the Tricky Trays they sponsor. Whenever my daughter-in-law is buying food for the shelter I always tell her to buy some from me.

I have a lot in common with shelter dogs. I too was abandoned at a very early age.

Will I continue to support this rescue squad? Absolutely, Marge is only looking out for the animals' best interest and that is exactly the way a shelter should be managed. Thank you Marge for caring about the animals and all you do for them. I know you will find Peppie a wonderful, forever home.



No comments:

Post a Comment