Friday, June 7, 2024

Father's Day

 

Mother's Day came and went this year for me without the overpowering feeling of sadness. I say that because I spent the day, and many days after, sick in bed. I slept through the holiday but that doesn't mean I didn't think of my girl. My anxiety starts days before an event, such as Mother's Day.  I have to stop myself from focusing on the "what ifs."

Now Father's Day is approaching.  Since I am not a father, I really don't want to speak about emotions a grieving Dad will be going through on the day that many people will be celebrating their fathers.  

I found the text below from Sandy Fox's blog dated June 5, 2013. I thought the message was appropriate for me to post here to recognize grieving dads. 

 For the bereaved father, it is a poignant reminder of the bittersweet memory of a loved, now lost, child; bitter for the death and pain and recognition of the inability to stop what happened. Fathers do not often have a chance to share their hurts and concerns. Oftentimes, they are unable to do so.

Perhaps this Father’s Day should be a time when family members, whoever they are, give Dad a hug, do something special, help with the chores, and most of all, let him know how important, needed and loved he is.

I wish all the dads who are missing their sons and daughters a peaceful day filled with happy and loving memories. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment