Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Friends by Diane Agamie

I found this in the community newspaper.

One of the great things in life is surprise. You never know when something or someone will surprise you. I made a friend about a decade ago with a girl named Lynn. We spent a lot of time together in the last ten years, mostly because we had such similar interests. She loved nature as do I. There is a great park in Toms River, Cattus Island Park. It runs a mile out to the bay. Lynn and I would make that walk at least two times a week, early in the morning to catch a glimpse of the local wildlife. I was a watcher of deer, fox, and snakes; Lynn was a fan of squirrels and chipmunks. She wouldn't hesitate to traverse deep in the woods if one of them caught her eye. If our walks took place on a hot summer day, we might go swimming in the bay when we reached it.

When you spend a lot of time with someone, you tend not to notice subtle changes in them. Lynn never commented that she thought I looked like I was getting older or slower in my walk, and I never noticed her aging either. She was always ready to go whenever I asked her. She wasn't much of a shopper, so we didn't spend too much time doing that together.

In the last six months I started to notice that she was slowing down. She started to lose interest in our walks and preferred to just visit inside and look out at the beautiful golf course. I could get her to take small walks with me, but nothing like we used to.

Over these last ten years, Lynn became one of the best friends I have ever had. She was always there if I needed someone to talk to, no matter what time of day or night. She would quietly listen to my concerns and offer her friendship and compassion. She would share a beautiful sunny day with me, but would also be there for me on a sad or dreary day.

Lynn took a turn for the worse in the last month. She had to be on some pretty strong medicine, but she was a trooper and took her meds faithfully. Sadly, the medicine wouldn't help her to get well, and I lost her just before my birthday. Although my heart is heavy, I know that she is in a better place, out of pain, and hopefully enjoying a beautiful sunny day.

There is an empty spot in our home now as we say goodbye to our dear friend and companion, Bailee Lynn Agamie, our beautiful chocolate Lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment